Sustainability Consulting with Chicago Department of Aviation
APTIM supports the Chicago O’Hare and Midway International Airports with comprehensive sustainability consulting to save millions of dollars in utilities; reduce energy, water, and waste; and demonstrate leadership in aviation sustainability.
Since beginning this project in 2014, teammates at APTIM have:
- Identified energy and water reduction projects, resulting in more than $1M in annual savings and more than 17% reduction in electrical usage
- Assisted Chicago Department of Aviation (CDA) in securing millions of dollars in utility incentives
- Facilitated Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design™ (LEED) Campus registration for green building certifications on more than $8.5B of planned development
- Led certification efforts, which resulted in the first Parksmart℠ certification in Illinois
- Reviewed more than 100 design and construction projects for certification under the Sustainable Airport Manual™ guidelines
- Evaluated the operations of more than 100 concession locations for sustainability compliance
- Assisted in planning landside electric vehicle charging across the airport
- Led the development of the 2021 and 2022 Airports Going Green® Conferences, which brought together more than 250 airport leaders annually to discuss sustainability topics
As part of APTIM’s original work with the CDA, our team was asked to provide a vision for an airport strategic energy management plan to help them achieve a 15% reduction in energy consumption. Within this plan, APTIM managed energy efficiency analysis and implementation through comprehensive energy benchmarking; facilitated energy efficiency incentives, rebates, and grants; provided an energy dashboard to track consumption of more than 800 utility meters; and created geographic information system mapping of meters and other assets.
Since 2021, APTIM’s scope has expanded to include the administration of the Sustainable Airport Manual program for both Design & Construction and Operations & Maintenance and the administration of Airports Going Green, aviation’s leading sustainability conference. Also in 2021, APTIM coordinated the creation of new environmental goals in alignment with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals that included efforts to reduce water, landfill waste, energy, and carbon emissions.
- Sustainability Consulting
- Energy Management
- Water and Waste Benchmarking
- LEED and Parksmart Certification Assistance
- Design Reviews
- Operations Reviews
APTIM. In Pursuit of Better.
Submit a Request
Speak to a member of our Sustainability or Energy Efficiency & Electrification teams.
Subscribe to the APTIM Xchange Newsletter
APTIM's newsletter, The APTIM Xchange, provides industry news flashes, regulatory updates, service spotlights, and topical columns from our subject matter experts.