At APTIM, safety is not just a goal. It’s a culture – an entire way of doing business.
APTIM conducts business with honesty and honor to promote the safety and security of our people while preserving the environment and maintaining quality. We live our values by leading and empowering our workforce to be incident free, involving employees in decisions to identify and manage risks, as well as providing programs and training to promote and enhance our safety culture.
HSE Fundamental Values
At APTIM, I choose safety.
“APTIM goes above and beyond the minimum safety requirements for the work that I do.”
Jonathan R., APTIM Scientist
“APTIM makes me feel safe by providing and encouraging me to wear my PPE.”
Owen C., APTIM Geologist
“We start every meeting with a safety moment. Safety is the number one priority whether you work in an office or on a job site. My goal as a manager is to ensure my team returns home safely to their families each and every day. I’m proud to work for a company that honors that commitment.”
Amy M., APTIM’s Retail Market Sector Leader
“At APTIM we choose to be for our teammates every day. The most important way to do this is to behave and work in ways that protects the health and wellbeing of others. We empower every APTIM employee to choose to work safely every day, and we support this choice without exception.”
Mark Fallon, APTIM CEO
Elements of Continuous Improvement
APTIM has developed or adopted many industry health and safety best practices to assist us in managing risks, preventing incidents from occurring, and ensuring a strong safety performance.
Human Performance Improvement Tools
- Pre-job/Tailgate Safety Meetings
- Questioning Attitude
- Stop Work Authority
- Self/Peer Checks
- Procedure Adherence
Behavior-Based Safety (BBS)
- Most safety events are a result of at-risk behaviors. Changing behaviors reduces accidents.
- TARGET is APTIM's BBS observation program.
- Employees are most effective observers of work behaviors.
- Issues that may be contributing to at-risk behaviors are resolved.
- Exemplary performance is acknowledged and rewarded.
Lessons Learned Program
- Documented (internal/external) Lessons Learned are communicated to project personnel including subcontractors and incorporated to work planning, training, and execution.
- A bi-weekly company health, safety, and environmental quality (HSEQ) eblast, titled Safety Tailgate, documents incidents, Lessons Learned, best practices, and important safety messages is sent out to all employees.
Job Safety Analysis
- Daily safety meetings are held to discuss the day's activities and determine if job safety analyses (JSA) are required for new tasks.
- Our team develops all JSAs with the workforce for a full understanding and personal ownership of tasks.
- We integrate hazard evaluations into work planning and the utilization of work planning and control procedures.
Daily Tailgate Safety Meetings
- Discuss the approved scope of work, hazards, and controls.
- Review the JSAs and work planning documents.
- Discuss change in conditions, safety observations, or concerns.
- Attendance is mandatory.
Performance Assurance Program
- Safety and quality are inexorably linked.
- Establish routine inspections and assessments. Identify and assign tracked corrective action.
- Use leading and lagging indicators (i.e., near miss, great catch, BBS data, training, assessments)
- When incidents occur, root cause analyses generate Lessons Learned.
Safety Culture Improvement Tools
- Project and program safety committees to facilitate leadership and workforce engagement on lessons learned, performance metrics, and best practices across the organization.
- Implement routine company-wide safety messaging.
- Project postings of our safety policy, safety-conscious work environment expectations, employee assistance program, and other important regulatory and safety messaging.
HSEQ Training Program
- Employees and management receive training commensurate to the hazards to which they may be exposed.
- A key element of our safety program is to achieve safe work execution.
- Injuries are managed to reduce significance.
- All injuries and incidents are required to be reported immediately to supervision/HSE.
- All injuries are referred to our independent third-party medical administration, which provides medical professionals 24/7.
Submit a Request
To learn more about APTIM's safety practices, please submit a request using the form below.
Subscribe to the APTIM Xchange Newsletter
APTIM's newsletter, The APTIM Xchange, provides industry news flashes, regulatory updates, service spotlights, and topical columns from our subject matter experts.