Hurricane Ida Disaster Recovery and Program Management
APTIM developed a first-of-its-kind program in response to Hurricane Ida in Louisiana, harnessing our expertise in emergency management, disaster recovery, and program management to rapidly deploy and provide temporary shelter to survivors.
As of 2024, the Hurricane Ida disaster recovery non-congregate shelter program has:
- Deployed 5,600+ units
- Sheltered 15,500+ survivors
- Registered 18,000+ survivors
- Performed 99,550+ site inspections
- Managed 87,000+ maintenance calls
- Worked more than 850,000 hours
- Received Triple Zeros for safety
On August 29, 2021, exactly 16 years after Hurricane Katrina devastated southern Louisiana, Hurricane Ida made landfall in Port Fourchon as a Category 4 hurricane. Top winds reached 150 mph, making it a tie for the fifth strongest hurricane to hit the mainland US at the time. Many residents with excessive home damage were without proper shelter while the state worked to quickly wrap up power restoration. The State of Louisiana quickly realized that a sheltering program manager that could quickly develop and implement a plan was critical.
Responding to extensive damage and the potential for future threats, the Louisiana Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness selected APTIM to manage a first-of-its-kind program which secured appropriate and immediate sheltering for survivors and provided oversight and management of the sheltering options to include non-congregate sheltering during COVID-19. The goal was to bring survivors back into their impacted community following the disaster.
APTIM’s disaster program management scope of work is comprised of three phases:
- Survivor Services: Initiation, outreach, intake, and eligibility of casework services
- Temporary Sheltering Solutions: Staging management, receipt of inventory, site eligibility and assessments, delivery of solutions to survivors, inventory staging, and ongoing asset maintenance
- Transition: Helping survivors transition to permanent housing solutions
Learn more about APTIM’s Emergency Management & Disaster Services.
APTIM. In Pursuit of Better.
Connect with APTIM
Speak to a member of our Emergency Management & Disaster Services team.
Subscribe to the APTIM Xchange Newsletter
APTIM's newsletter, The APTIM Xchange, provides industry news flashes, regulatory updates, service spotlights, and topical columns from our subject matter experts.