Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Building 251
Hybrid: TO Implementation and Program Support Services (Fixed Price) and Building B251 Deactivation, Decommissioning, and Removal (DD&R) and Waste Support Services (Cost Plus Incentive Fee)
07/2021 – 09/2023
Project Execution Strategy
APTIM’s execution approach for DD&R of B251 includes a detailed management approach for identifying data gaps, perform additional facility characterization, DD&R, and Waste Support Services. All characterization, DD&R, and waste support activities are performed in full compliance with the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) Radiological Control Manual and our approved Radiological Work Plan and Demolition Plan. To safely and efficiently execute B251 DD&R, APTIM employs a sequential execution approach to DD&R activities which includes decontamination and demolition of high bay and hot cells to prepare the area for waste handing, conduct radiological and asbestos abatement, and perform interior demolition. APTIM has assembled a dedicated, on-site multi-disciplinary team of knowledgeable and experienced characterization subject matter experts to evaluate and document data needs and existing knowledge to support DD&R based on worker and public health and safety protection and disposal facility WAC compliance. APTIM employs a collaborative approach that takes into full consideration stakeholder concerns both during plan development and throughout work execution.
We will use APTIM’s corporate systems and management processes to execute the project. We will partner frequently with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Environmental Management (EM), DOE Livermore Field Office (LFO) and Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC (LLNS) throughout the project to establish a common vision and expectations of doing business together in a manner to enable the successful execution of this task order.
- To the extent practical, adaptation of approved LLNL Building 280 and corporate plans and procedures tailored to Building 251.
- Corporate reach-back support to prepare the Implementation Period deliverables and to effectively startup the Building 251 project.
- Transition experienced deactivation and decommissioning (D&D) personnel from the Building 280 project to the Building 251 project to support the field mobilization in early 2022.
- Discussions in the first 30 days of Implementation on developing the demolition strategy based on our original proposed strategy as well new characterization data for Building 251.
- Early procurement of long-lead items to minimize downtime from the implementation period, to site mobilization and the initiation of D&D activities.
Contract Scope/Services Provided
- Project Management
- Deactivation, Decommissioning, and Removal
- Facility Characterization
- Waste Handling/Management
- Subcontractor Management
- Erosion Controls
APTIM. Expect the Extraordinary.
Submit A Request
Subscribe to the APTIM Xchange Newsletter
APTIM's newsletter, The APTIM Xchange, provides industry news flashes, regulatory updates, service spotlights, and topical columns from our subject matter experts.